We spent the morning at St. Bernard Project, an amazing non-profit that assists St. Bernard Parish residents in rebuilding their homes post-Katrina.
- Zack, the founder of St. Bernard Project
- Colleen (office manager) and Joe (office staff member and former client)
- Families assisted by this amazing non-profit organization (stories and pictures will be posted at later date)
Some interesting facts about the county of St. Bernard Parish:
- Katrina destroyed 100% of the homes (27,000 residences), displacing 65,000 residents
- 1800 families are still living in FEMA trailers
- approximately one-half (32,000) of the 65,000 residents have returned
- St. Bernard Project has completed 131 homes, and is currently working on 30 homes
- 60 people are on the waiting list
- St. Bernard Project can rebuild a house with volunteer labor for approximately $13, 500
For more information, visit St. Bernard Project's website: http://www.stbernardproject.org/
Look for more information tomorrow!